After a three judge bench had referred the Aadhaar challenge petitions to a Constitution Bench, it is faced with 12 applications seeking clarification/modification of its interim order restricting the usage of Aadhaar card.
The bench comprising of Justices Chelameswar, SA Bobde and C Nagappan will hear the 11 applications filed by government bodies along with an application by petitioner – Nagrik Chetna Manch on Tuesday, October 5, 2015 at 2pm.
Order sought to be modified:
On August, 11 2015, along with the reference, Court had ordered:
1. The Union of India shall give wide publicity in the electronic and print media including radio and television networks that it is not mandatory for a citizen to obtain an Aadhaar card;
2. The production of an Aadhaar card will not be condition for obtaining any benefits otherwise due to a citizen;
3. The Unique Identification Number or the Aadhaar card will not be used by the respondents for any purpose other than the PDS Scheme and in particular for the purpose of distribution of foodgrains, etc. and cooking fuel, such as kerosene. The Aadhaar card may also be used for the purpose of the LPG Distribution Scheme;
4. The information about an individual obtained by the Unique Identification Authority of India while issuing an Aadhaar card shall not be used for any other purpose, save as above, except as may be directed by a Court for the purpose of criminal investigation.
As the Centre and several states governments and their agencies feel that Court’s order is acting as an impediment in their Aadhaar related goals, applications on behalf of government and their agencies have been filed seeking an extension of the purposes for which Aadhaar can be used.
The applications filed in the lead matter [Justice K. S. Puttaswamy (Retd) & Ors. v. Union of India & Ors. – WP (C) No. 494 of 2012] seeking a modification/clarification of Court’s order are as follows:
|S. No.||Application Number||Application filed by||Application for|
|1||I.A. No. 15/2015||UIDAI||Modification/Clarification of Court’s Order dated 11.8.2015|
|2||I.A. No. 16/2015||SEBI||Impleadment|
|3||I.A. No. 17/2015||State of Gujarat||Modification/Clarification of Court’s Order dated 11.8.2015|
|4||I.A. No. 18 & 19 of 2015||Pension Fund Regulatory & Development Authority||Impleadment and Modification/Clarification of Court’s Order dated 11.8.2015|
|5||I.A. No. 20/2015||State of Haryana||Modification/Clarification of Court’s Order dated 11.8.2015|
|6||I.A. No. 21/2015||State of Mahrashtra||Modification/Clarification of Court’s Order dated 11.8.2015|
|7||I.A. No. 22 & 23 of 2015||TRAI||Impleadment and Modification/Clarification of Court’s Order dated 11.8.2015|
|8||I.A. No. 24 & 25 of 2015||IRDA||Impleadment and Modification/Clarification of Court’s Order dated 11.8.2015|
|9||I.A. No. 26/2015||State of Rajasthan||Modification/Clarification of Court’s Order dated 11.8.2015|
|10||I.A. No. 27/2015||SEBI||Modification/Clarification of Court’s Order dated 11.8.2015|
|11||I.A. No. 28 of 2015||Centre for Civil Society||Modification/Clarification of Court’s Order dated 11.8.2015|
On the other hand Nagrik Chetna Manch, the petitioner in Writ Petition (C) No. 932 of 2013 has also filed an application seeking modification of the August 11 order in favour of the Petitioners rather than in Government’s favour (to be updated).
|12||I.A. No. 3 in
W.P. (C) No. 932 of 2013
|Nagrik Chetna Manch||Modification/Clarification of Court’s Order dated 11.8.2015|
Gujarat government has filed the application to seek its permission to extend Aadhaar usage to other schemes such as pensions and MGNREGA while RBI wants to use Aadhaar as a valid document as proof of identity.
The Petitioners shall be represented by senior counsel Shyam Divan, Gopal Subramanium and Meenakshi Arora. Union of India shall be represented by Attorney General Mukul Rohatgi and ASG Pinky Anand, Gujarat by senior counsel Harish Salve, SEBI by ASG Tushar Mehta, RBI by senior counsel Jayant Bhushan and Election Commission by senior counsel Ashok Desai. Senior counsel KK Venugopal will be appearing for the Centre for Civil Society which is also supporting Aadhaar. [FE]
Latest posts by Mohit Singh (see all)
- PIL before SC seeks J Lodha Panel’s recommendations to be declared unconstitutional + reference to 7 judge bench - January 6, 2017
- PILs on SC’s last day of the year: national liquor policy and safety from telecom equipment - December 16, 2016
- Delhi High Court asks RBI, Centre of their view on card payment surcharge - November 17, 2016